Real Estate Market Update – January 2018
- Know the “ Big Picture” – Where are you going once you sell? Are you able to buy without selling your home? Can you move in with family if necessary?
- Consider a home inspection – Most buyers will hire a licensed home inspector to check out your home from top-to-bottom. You’re likely going to need to remediate these things before settling with you buyers, so take the initiative and set up your own home inspection.
- Start Packing – Don’t wait until you have a signed deal – start packing immediatley. Not everything of course, but after you’ve “decluttered” it’s a good time to box up and start getting ready. Consider renting out some temporary storage. You’ll be surprised at how open and inviting your home will look to buyers with less of your stuff.
- Spruce things up – You don’t have to spend a lot – some minor improvements can make a big difference in your home’s visual appeal.
- Change out switch plates
- Paint that beat up looking trim
- Replace old kitchen cabinet pulls and handles
- Install a new front doorknob
- Replace caulk around sinks
- Replace old light fixtures
- Start Looking for an Expert Realtor – Picking the right agent is key. Get recommendations from friends and family. Pick a professional that knows the local market, how to net you the most, and is most organized.
- Clear out the Clutter – Every home has clutter, right? But when you have prospective buyers coming through, that clutter can make your home look unappealing. Take a look with an objective eye, and get rid of:
- Magazine/newspaper piles
- Magnets/artwork on the fridge
- Junk on bookshelves
- Piles of mail/unpaid bills
If you are thinking about selling now, January and Febuary are a great time to put your home on the market. There are not as many homes on the market so that will drive up demand for your home, therefore increasing your sales price.
If you are thinking about buying in the spring, as many buyers do, start looking now. Hire an expert realtor and start to educate yourself to the market so when the right house comes along you can jump on it and feel confident in your decision.